A school’s roof should keep any elements such as water, hail, wind, snow, ice, or extreme heat from penetrating a school. The appearance of leaks is an indication that your roof is not protecting the building. Worse, leaks can be a source of health hazards that can negatively affect the students and staff. Learn more about the dangers of a damaged roof and benefits of a commercial roof replacement,
Health Hazards of a Leaky Roof
The presence of leaks in a school building means that the roof has suffered damage and may require replacement. Leaks are not always obvious, and according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), you should inspect the roof at least twice a year, with one inspection just before the start of winter. Proper maintenance can prevent the leaks, but if the roof is already leaking, it might be too late. A replacement is likely necessary.
A leaky roof can lead to a number of hazardous conditions for your students and staff.
- Damp environments encourage the growth of mold and mildew. While non-toxic, these contaminants can trigger health conditions, like allergies, asthma, and other respiratory diseases.
- Water damage. The constant moisture will weaken the structure of your building, potentially causing debris to fall and injure people. Water damage may lead to faulty flooring or structural damage that creates potential dangers. It can lead to expensive repairs.
- Slips and falls. Larger leaks, or leaks that build up over time, can lead to puddles and standing water. The people inside the building can slip and fall, causing injuries.
- The increased presence of water also increases possible interaction with electrical appliances or outlets, resulting in greater risk for electrical injuries.
Health Benefits of a New Roof
Once a roof starts to leak, the best solution to effectively protect the students and staff members of the school is through a replacement. By replacing the roof entirely, you guarantee that you have an intact system that can protect the building, as well as the staff and students. A replacement roof may be more cost-effective than fixing additional leaks and associated health risks.
The health benefits of a new roof include:
- Lack of contaminants that trigger diseases
- A stronger structure that won’t place people in peril
- Safer hallways and floors for students and staff to use
- Decrease of potential electrical hazards
The benefits of a new roof, from the well-being of the students and staff to reduced expenses, are well worth it.
If your Ohio school needs commercial roofing repair services, contact Technique Roofing Systems today. With decades of commercial roofing experience and top-quality materials, the Technique Roofing team is ready to help boost your school’s safety and efficiency for 2019 and beyond.
Ready to Get Started?
Contact the commercial roofing specialists at Technique Roofing Systems. We’re proud to offer premium roofing services for your commercial buildings in Burgoon and St. Henry, Ohio.